The Lincoln County Register of Deeds maintains birth, death and marriage records for people who were born, died, or whose marriage license is filed in Lincoln County.
Birth and Death records from 1913 to present; Marriages from 1868 to present are available in our office but only the Indexes are available on line. Click here to view the Vital Indexes
WHO may obtain a certified copy of a birth, death, or marriage certificate?
Certified copies will be issued to:
- The applicant
- The applicant's spouse
- The applicant's parent/step-parent
- The applicant's brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister
- The applicant's child/step-child
- The applicant's grandparent/grandchild
- Any person seeking information for legal determination of personal or property rights
- An authorized agent, attorney, or legal representative of the applicant
Identification is required from all who request a certified vital record. Uncertified copies of all vital records are open to public inspection.
HOW do I obtain a certified copy of a vital record by mail?
You can APPLY FOR A CERTIFIED COPY ONLINE A Transaction Fee Will Be Applied
- Return the signed application, along with $10 fee (Certified Check or Money Order), self-addressed stamped envelope and a copy of your picture ID to:
Lincoln County Register of Deeds
P. O. Box 218
105A East Court Square
Lincolnton, NC 28093
Out of county North Carolina birth records (1971-current) can also be obtained in the Register of Deeds office through North Carolina Vital Records for a fee of $24 (NO PERSONAL CHECKS).