Finding Tryon County Ancestors
Tryon County, existed from 1768 to 1779. It was named after William Tryon, governor of North Carolina from 1765 to 1771, and was formed from the western portion of Mecklenburg. Many present day counties in both North and South Carolina were completely or partially included within the borders of Tryon County.
The approximate boundaries of Tryon County can be seen at, http://jrshelby.com/rfotw/tryonmap.htm.
Tryon County was divided in 1779 and Lincoln Countyand Rutherford County were created from it. Gaston County was formed from the southern portion of Lincoln County in 1846.
Here's a list of some Tryon County resources. Also, search our library Catalog by Subject: Tryon County.
- History of Old Tryon and Rutherford Counties, North Carolina, 1730-1936, by Clarence W. Griffin. 975.6 G NCC.
- Marriage Bonds of Tryon and Lincoln Counties, North Carolina, by Curtis Bynum. 929.3 BYN NCC.
- Tryon County Documents, 1769-1779: a North Carolina County, by Kathy Gunter Sullivan. 233 p. 2000. 929.3 SUL NCC.
- Deed Abstracts of Tryon, Lincoln, and Rutherford Counties, North Carolina, 1769-1786: Tryon County Wills and Estates, abstracted by Brent Holcomb. 206p. 1977. 975.6782 D NCC.
- North Carolina Land Grants in South Carolina, Vol. 1: Tryon County 1768-1773, compiled by Brent Holcomb. 1975. 929.3 N NCC.
- North Carolina Tryon County Court Docket. Reproduction of actual docket covers terms throughout 1771 to 1780. 929.3 NOR NCC.
- Tryon County, North Carolina: Minutes of the Court of Pleas and Quarter Sessions, 1769-1779, by Brent H. Holcomb. 234p. 1994. 929.3756 HOL.
- Tryon County, North Carolina Crown Docket July 1769-April 1776; Tryon County, North Carolina State Docket October 1777-January 1779; Lincoln County, North Carolina State Docket April 1779-April 1780. Reprinted from Bulletin of The Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County. 165p. 1994. 929.3756 TRY NCC at G; 929.3 TRY NCC.
- Bulletin of the Genealogical Society of Old Tryon County, v.1 (1974) to date. 929.1 Bul NCC.
County Records on Microfilm
Many of these records have been transcribed or abstracted in the print publications listed above.
- Tryon County Court Minutes, 1769-1782, 2 vols. (Second vol. contains Lincoln County.) 1 reel microfilm. 929.3 T.
- Tryon County Record of Deeds, 1769-1778, 1770, 1771. 1 reel microfilm. 929.3 T NCC.
- Tryon County Record of Deeds, 1771-1772, 1774, 1778-1779. 1 reel microfilm. 929.3 T NCC.
- The North Carolina Archives filed and filmed surviving Tryon County records with those of Lincoln County. See Lincoln County records marked with dates from 1768 to 1779 for Tryon material.
Purchasing books. The library does not have any books for sale. Some books relating to Tryon County may be purchased from:
Email and mail requests for SPECIFIC information are welcome. We will be glad to try to answer a particular question for those who are unable to use the collection in person. Please contact: NCC Librarian, Reference Services, Lincoln County Public Library, 306 West Main Street, Lincolnton, NC 28092. ((704) 735-8044).
Local researchers Because the Lincoln County Library System cannot conduct extensive research, we have available a list of researchers who will pursue larger projects for a fee. Please contact us for a copy of this list. Note: The Gaston-Lincoln Regional Library System is not able to recommend or take responsibility for any particular researcher.
Note: These sites are provided for informational purposes. The Library assumes no responsibility for the content of sites maintained by other organizations or persons.